Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How Not to Play with Cats

Today was another day of running around the backyard with Marissa. I love it that the weather is nicer and she has more space to burn her energy off. I don't like being reminded of my weeds, but that's another story....

One of our cats whose name is Cervantes (yes, it really is), has been on this farm for I don't know how long. He never seems to die! All our other farm cats have come and gone, disappearing overnight to either another farm, another field, or another coyotes tummy:( Anywhoo, Cervantes is a character and will walk wherever he pleases and as slow as he pleases. He also has a head the size of a football. He's a legend.

So, guess who should be napping on the deck when we come running outside this afternoon? Yes, Cervantes. And he gets a very irritated look on his face, but so politely puts up with Marissa's attempts at playing.

Marissa loves our cats, and it got me to thinking that she can teach us all a thing or two about how NOT to play with cats. I daily observe the things that make them mad. Read on:

Don't try to offer them Cheezits or Goldfish. They really don't care.
Don't pull on the tail. This should be a no-brainer, but try convincing a 2 year old to not grab that long fluffy thing.
Don't chase it up and down the hallway, screaming "I'm gonna get you!" They generally don't like playing chase I find.
Don't try to coax a cat out of hiding. Let them come to you!
Don't test the strength of their whiskers. Yes, they are tempting too.
Don't bonk them over the head with any object to see how long they'll take it.
Lastly, even though Marissa has done all these things and more, the cats still patiently put up with her and come back again and again. What faithful friends!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Ha, ha...that's hilarious. Good thing the cats are patient with her :)

Catherine said...

hmm...so cats don't like it when you bonk them on the head huh?
Yes, it is a wonder that cervantes is still around...

McJason's said...

Funny! We were at the dairy last night and saw Cervantes. I had forgotten how ugly that cat is! We all commented on his huge head, too:)!

Steve, Melinda and family said...

I am laughing so hard because I think that all kids do that and learn the hard way