I hope you're not all tired of hearing about my thyroid. Really, I know there's more important things going on in all yours' lives. But for us, life sorta slowed waaay down about a week ago. I know I've shared bits and pieces with lots of people and I can't remember who and what I've shared....so I figured I'd do a quick update for anyone wondering what's new with us!
Last Tuesday I had my neck opened wide and the doctor took my thyroid out. We went to the hospital around 7:30am and started surgery prep. It was strangely quiet when we got there and we thought I was the only surgery patient that day, which was a tad unsettling, but it turned out there was 3 other surgeries that day. They asked me all sorts of questions, over and over, we met the anesetiologist, put my pretty cap on and wheeled me back to the OR. I had never been under general before, so I didn't really know what to think. They brought me all the way back to the operating room (which was freezing!) and starting transfering me to the operating table and strapping me down. I wasn't under yet and started panicking!
Note to anyone going to surgery: don't look around the room and take everything in. You'll just freak yourself out. I made the mistake of looking over and seeing all the instruments lined up. Just like in Grey's Anatomy, I thought to myself. Hallejuah for drugs! All of a sudden, my eyes started getting heavy and I thought, "Yes, I'm finally falling asleep!"
Next thing I remember was trying to someone trying to wake me up from sleeping and I DIDN'T want to wake up. I wasn't a very happy camper, to say the least. You see, I woke up with the most massive migraine I have ever had. In my mind, I desperately hoped someone would just put me back to sleep. Someone asked me to say the letter "e", and I heard nurses talking and the doctor talking. Of all times, the doctor walked up to me then and told me they had tested the right side and it came back positive for papillary and the left side came out as well. I had been expecting that news. But it was kinda wierd to hear it for sure. Someone had literally looked right at my thyroid and what we thought was in my "bump" was for sure cancer.
The rest of the afternoon wasn't very pretty, so I'll spare you the details. Let's just say, it took a lot of drugs to get that migraine gone. Oh how thankful I am for our medical system. I would ask for pain or nausea medication and 5 minutes later, my nurse would be putting it in my I.V.
I'm am so very thankful to my dad who sat with me that afternoon, putting a cold washcloth on my face, while hubby was taking care of the farm and shuffling the kids around. He was so patient and helpful. I love you dad:)
Thank you to my mom and brother for visiting me that evening as well. I still wasn't in the best of shape until late that evening, but their visit and comforting words meant so much to me! The kids came with them then, too, and I so wanted to hold them and kiss them, but I could barely move my head without it pounding. It was hard on Miss M, she didn't like Mommy being sick:(
So it took until Thursday night to feel strong enough to go home. I had a headache and nausea for a long time and didn't eat much besides crackers. My wonderful parents came up and took me home that night. I am so blessed with selfless and loving parents who are always willing to come to our help.
The kids were so happy to see me, and me them:) Their smiles and laughter made me heart happier than anything else! Last, but not least, I have to send a HUGE shout out to my wonderful hubby! He has been such an awesome partner in this trial, stepping in and being both "Mom" and "Dad", while trying to farm still. He has gone above and beyond the expected and done such a wonderful job keeping this house running while I'm on the mend. I know it's not easy on him. Thank you honey:)
So, it's been about a week now, and I'm healing nicely from surgery. The tiredness is getting less each day. I'm trying to lay low and conserve my energy. Miss M starts pre-school next week, so I need to be geared up for all that. Thank you to everyone who has sent a meal, or helped with the kids. Every little bit has helped the recovery from surgery.
Above all, the Lord has been amazing through this trial. When I was down in the dumps, He always came to my rescue, cheering up my heart and reminding me that He was with me. When I am so tired and don't think I will make it through the rest of the day, He gives me enough energy to take care of the kids. He is so faithful! His love has been shown through so many friends and family.
Well, tomorrow I have a checkup with the surgeon, and we'll see what's next! Meanwhile, the kids are doing great, playing well and doing well for other people. They are such a great distraction and make the hours go by fast! I never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking forward to being able to clean my house again, run errands, and do normal things with the kids again!
T
3 comments:
Glad to hear that you are on the mend. I've tried visiting you last weekend, but you were napping. Also, I tried at the hosital, but apparently I missed the message that it wasn't at SVH. :(
It is nice to have a loving family to help out. Yay for both grandparents and hubs for stepping up to the plate and helping out when needed. I know mom VK enjoyed having M' and K'. :)
T- realized I forgot to give you my cell # before I left today.. it's 360-540-0652. Seriously, give me a call anytime you want me to come hang with the kiddos or do laundry or whatever :) my life is pretty slow right now so I'd love to help you out any way I can :)
I am so glad to hear that you are recovering bit by bit. It must be really hard to be patient with the process!
We are continuing to pray for you and your family!
You are doing such a great job working through this challenge.
God bless you tonight.
Post a Comment