Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What can I get for you?

I have never been a waitress. I have never been a milking cow (nor would I want to be). I have never been a short-order cook.

Somewhere in the "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" novels, someone left out a very important chapter on motherhood.

I knew motherhood would be exhausting, I knew there would be sleepness nights, unexplained illnesses, temper tantrums, and diaper blowouts. What I didn't expect was to feel like a waitress all day long. A milking cow part of the time (not necessarily the cow part). And of course, a short order cook.

Last night I was getting the kids to bed by myself. I should give the hubby some credit, he did get them bathed and one dressed. I was down to the home stretch. Miss M.was in bed with 2 precious binkies and I was on the last round of nursing Kyle. Peace and quiet were so close, I could almost touch it. Ahhh, hubby at the fire hall, kids fast asleep, TV to myself. All was looking good and smooth. Alas, from the upstairs corner, I hear "Some milk please???"

Daughter, if you only knew what I was doing right now.

Do you ever feel like you're stretched like a Gumby doll? I really wanted to do both things at the same time, but only 1 child can get milk at a time. I'm either producing milk for one or filling a sippy cup for another.

Yesterday I felt "milked" to the last drop. But I wouldn't haven't changed it for anything:)

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I think all of us moms can relate to this post. I'll be there soon - taking care of two. I may be emailing you asking for tips on how to keep a toddler entertained while nursing a baby :) I know it's exhausting, but just keep enjoying all those little special moments. SOME day they will be grateful :)