Tuesday, May 19, 2009

THE Meltdown

No, that isn't a typo. I meant for "the" to be in caps....

Today, I learned a few lessons about toddlerhood that I thought I'd pass on for either your education or amusement. Most of you will laugh or say "duh!" probably....

So picture me with two kids in tow, driving to Safeway. We had already gone to MOPS this morning and I had to return a carpet cleaning machine before 1:30 in order not to be charged again. I was cringing at the thought of this adventure, hoping and praying there would be a parking space right next to a cart corral, with a cart in it. And my luck? the cart corrals were empty. Thanks to the faithful courtesy clerk doing his/her job, but I need a cart!!! I have found it way easier to find a cart outside and load up the kids BEFORE entering the store. Not so much today.

So in we go, first getting a "car" cart because Marissa insists...I should have never gone there in the first place. We grab a courtesy clerk to go back out to the car to, once again, go back in to check in the carpet cleaning machine. Yes, this sounds pretty ridiculous, you say. Well, I had no other option, so I figured we make the best of it.

All was going well until for some unknown reason, Marissa decides that her car stinks. She needs a trade-in for a newer model. Out come the screams and kicking legs and body-twisting tricks while still buckled in. Here's my first mistake: NEVER UNBUCKLE YOUR CHILD UNTIL YOU'VE REACHED YOUR CAR.

Thinking she might want to walk next to me, I let her get out. Yea, didn't work. As we leave Safeway, we entertained all the checkers, bankers, and ATM users with our meltdown of the century. I really wasn't sure if we were going to make it to the car. Thankfully, I wore a tighter pair of jeans that don't fall down around my knees!!

As we got outside, a man suddenly appeared and asked if we needed help. Of course, my mommy radar went off immediatly and I'm sure I gave him the wierdest look. What guy would want to help me? with 2 kids? are you a wierdo? Once I looked him over and decided I didn't have much options, I accepted his help and he told me he had 3 kids. We shared a smile of understanding.

Lessons Learned:
Don't make too many stops near lunch or nap time
Don't unbuckle the shopping seat until you're ready to wrestle:)
Next time you see a mom in distress, you might just make her day by lending a helping hand.
Even though we had a less than lovely moment, kids are just kids, and this too shall pass! I still love my daughter!

6 comments:

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachael said...

I know exactly how you feel. It's hard to deal with that situation in public, especially when everyone is looking in your direction. Yes, thankfully they will grow out of this stage....but right now it seems like forever until they do :) Glad a nice guy was there to lend a helping hand.

julia said...

oh ya we've all gone through the major temper tantrums not fun but I think most people have gone through it if they had kids, parking is a major issue I don't like shopping at stores where the parking is just dumb safeway and walmart I hate there parking lots

McJason's said...

Chin-up:). Everyone has gone thru it at some time point in their lives...INCLUDING the ones that give you dirty looks:). They just don't REMEMBER because they are too old. I had a similar scenerio this morning at Haggen's. The more kids you have....the thicker your skin gets(heehee!).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are earning your "mommy' badge! We've all lived through it and lived to tell. The good thing is that those days are far and few between.

Vintage Dutch Girl said...

Yep! Had one of those days today! Jude 'forgot' how to nap today and had a major meltdown at my sister's house that ended with me picking him up, depositing him on the bathroom floor and closing the door.

He stopped screaming b/c no one was listening...

..then we PROMPTLY headed home to dinner bath and BED!