Well, it's been awhile since I've written anything about my thyroid situation. This is a good thing, because it means things have calmed down since all the craziness of last fall. However, it is all still a work in progress and I will have a few more steps to take down this road. Thankfully, nothing like last fall, we hope.
Last week at the dentist, I was filling out a new patient form. I've been on a search for a new dentist, and filling out a lot of forms about myself. It's a really strange feeling to look down the list of medical "issues" that they list, and actually have to mark a few of those. Filling out medical forms used to be a breeze; now I'm reminded each time of what I've been through. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to complain here. What's wierd is that this thyroid stuff just felt like a sickness really. I've had a hard time seeing myself as a "cancer" patient. Even though technically I was. When I tell people I had thyroid cancer or that I received radiation, I feel like I've joined a whole different unspoken league out there. I'm always downplaying in my mind what I went through, but when you have to fill out a form, it gets pretty black and white.
Yep, I had thyroid cancer and yep, it's gone!
It's just mind-blowing sometimes to consider what we've been through (and still goinging through).
Since my radioactive iodine and time in quarantine, I've been slowly upping my medicine, trying to find the right dosage for my energy. Some days I feel great. Other days, a little big of fog still creeps into my brain, and I have to lay down in the afternoon.
I kind of expected to just pick up and get back to life as normal once my treatment was finished, but my body has gone through some radical changes and it's still getting used to it all.
I am so thankful for my medicine though. That I can take a pill every morning and function like everyone else.
So, as far as the future goes, I'll be getting chest x-rays, ultrasounds, and I'll be doing a whole body scan in May once again. They'll give me a shot of radioactive stuff and the scan will see if any tissue is left. Theorectically, nothing should show up. I have to go on the Low-Iodine Diet again (yipee) but thankfully I don't have to be in quarantine this time around!
So that's it for right now for my thyroid. Or lack of one I should say:)
1 comment:
What a year it has been for you! I'm so thankful that you are doing ok and that God has given you the grace to go through what you have. (Miss K still prays for you quite often:) Love ya, girl!:)
Post a Comment